PTBP Web Desk
The devastating Gul Plaza fire in Karachi has taken an even more tragic turn as the number of confirmed fatalities has risen to 71, following the recovery of additional human remains from the site during ongoing search operations. The latest update was confirmed by sources at Civil Hospital Karachi, according to a report by ARY News on Friday, highlighting that the true scale of the tragedy is still unfolding.
Hospital officials revealed that new sets of human remains were transferred to Civil Hospital a day earlier for DNA profiling and forensic examination. During the post-mortem process, it was determined that the quantity of remains was significantly larger than initially assessed, suggesting that more victims may still be unaccounted for. This discovery has intensified fears that the final death toll could rise further as identification efforts continue.
So far, 17 bodies recovered from the Gul Plaza fire site have been identified, while dozens of families continue to wait anxiously for confirmation regarding their missing loved ones. The process of identification remains slow and emotionally exhausting, as many victims were burned beyond recognition, making DNA testing the only reliable method for confirmation.
Officials at Civil Hospital said that samples from families have been collected and matched against recovered remains. Dedicated DNA collection centers and help desks have been established to assist relatives in the identification process, ensuring that families receive updates and support during this painful time.
Medical authorities emphasized that the forensic work must be done carefully and accurately, even though it prolongs the agony for families desperate for answers.
The tragedy began late on Saturday night, January 17, when a massive fire erupted at Gul Plaza on M.A. Jinnah Road, one of Karachi’s busiest commercial arteries. Flames rapidly engulfed the multi-storey building, trapping dozens of people inside as thick smoke spread through the structure.
Eyewitnesses reported scenes of panic and chaos, as people tried desperately to escape the burning building. Many shop workers, security staff, and visitors were caught off guard due to the late hour and the speed with which the fire spread.
Although firefighters eventually brought the blaze under control, the damage had already been done, leaving behind a charred structure and a trail of grief across the city.
Despite the fire being extinguished, Gul Plaza remains structurally unstable, according to engineers inspecting the site. This has made rescue operations slow and dangerous, as teams must proceed with extreme caution to avoid further collapse.
Structural experts are continuously assessing the building to determine which areas can be safely accessed. Heavy machinery is being used to clear debris, but progress remains gradual due to the risk of falling slabs and weakened pillars.
Officials have confirmed that rescue and recovery operations will continue until every possible area of the building has been searched.
A joint rescue operation involving Rescue 1122, the Pakistan Army, Rangers, police, and civil authorities is still underway. Search teams are working around the clock to locate any remaining victims, while sniffer dogs and specialized equipment are being deployed to identify areas where remains may still be trapped under debris.
Authorities said that the scale of the operation reflects the seriousness of the incident, describing it as one of the deadliest commercial building fires in Karachi’s recent history.
Outside Civil Hospital and the fire site, families of the missing continue to gather, holding photographs of their loved ones and pleading for information. Many have been camping outside help desks for days, hoping for news that will bring closure, even if it comes with heartbreak.
Psychologists and volunteers have also been deployed to assist grieving families, as the emotional toll of the tragedy continues to grow.
“This is not just a fire, it is a human catastrophe,” said one relative waiting at the hospital. “We just want to know where our loved ones are.”
As the death toll rises, serious questions are being raised about fire safety measures, building compliance, and emergency preparedness in Karachi’s commercial buildings. Early reports suggest that the building may have lacked adequate fire exits, alarms, and safety equipment, although an official investigation is still underway.
Authorities have promised a full inquiry into the incident, including inspections of other high-risk buildings across the city to prevent similar tragedies in the future.
Urban planning experts and civil society groups have renewed calls for strict enforcement of safety regulations, warning that unless systemic changes are made, such disasters will continue to occur.
The Sindh government has expressed condolences to the families of the victims and announced that a high-level investigation committee has been formed to determine the cause of the fire and identify those responsible for safety lapses.
Officials have also assured that compensation packages will be announced for the families of the deceased and the injured, although details are yet to be finalized.
Meanwhile, Karachi administration has ordered safety audits of commercial buildings, particularly those located in densely populated areas.
The Gul Plaza fire has shaken Karachi to its core, exposing vulnerabilities in infrastructure, regulation, and emergency response. As the search operation continues and the death toll rises, the city remains in collective mourning.gul-plaza-fire-death-toll-karachi
